Saturday, May 9, 2009

Back in the Day... (Bash Brothers edition)

Back in the day, when I first started collecting cards as a kid, I used to collect cards of the bash brothers (Canseco and McGwire). I can't even really tell you why I liked them, can't even remember how I first heard about them, but I did and it lead to a slight baseball obsession. I had this bash brother poster on my wall.



(My how thin and slender McGwire looks... Hmmmm....)

Back then Starline also came out with those life size baseball player posters, and I had a 6' Canseco on my wall too. I just found the poster on ebay, and if I were being overly nostalgic I'd probably buy it and put it up in my office.



I loved collecting cards back then, I'd take the issues of Beckett with their 8 1/2" x 11" full page glossy pictures of players and plaster the pictures all over my wall. I never got around to getting an '86 Donruss Canseco rookie, but I did have my fair share of cards that I enjoyed. It's cards like these that remind me of where the fun is in collecting cards for me. It's in following an impact player as they play, and it's being a fan and not just a collector, and it's collecting unique cards that not everyone is likely to have (or want). So yeah, that's why I collect today, that's why I got back into it, because I enjoy the game, I'm a fan. I like to collect specific players, and follow their career. It's fun to me despite the sometimes odd/quirky designs and gimmicks that card companies come out with now.

No comments:

Post a Comment