Tuesday, March 24, 2009

2008 Razor Letterman

So, it's been a while since I posted any pulls, so I thought I'd show off the card I pulled from a box of 2008 Razor Letterman. It's a Zach Putnam black patch #4/5.
(Interestingly, I was there as the store owner randomly opened a pack of cards from an open box and pulled a Pete Rose auto patch, but I digress...)



Since I knew very little of Putnam, I had to google him, and here's a little story I found...
Zach Putnam will skip his senior season at the University of Michigan to play minor-league baseball for the Cleveland Indians.

The right-handed pitcher signed a deal Thursday night that is worth about $650,000.
"It's exciting to be part of a club that is known for its homegrown stars," Putnam said. "It gives me a lot of confidence that they want me, and it's comforting to know I'm with them."

Cleveland drafted Putnam, a Pioneer High School graduate, in the fifth round two months ago, and if it didn't sign him by today, it would've lost rights to him.

The 6-foot-2-inch, 215-pound Putnam became the first in conference history to earn two spots on the All-Big Ten team, earning recognition as a pitcher and designated hitter the last two seasons.

The Big Ten Pitcher of the Year was 9-0 in 12 starts with a 2.58 ERA last season Over three seasons, he was 23-7 in 36 starts with a 3.12 ERA.

Putnam hit .307 with 11 home runs and 51 RBIs in 55 games. He was a career .307 hitter with 19 home runs and 114 RBIs in 132 games.

He helped Michigan win the Big Ten title in each of his three seasons and play in the NCAA Tournament each year.

The Indians plan to develop Putnam as a pitcher. He expects to make his debut with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers in about a week and hopes to finish the season at Single-A Lake County before playing in the Arizona Fall League.

"... I'll be working on my fastball, slider and spit-finger pitch that I can throw as a changeup," Putnam said, noting that he'll go from having five pitches to three.

"It would be moving fast, but my goal is to a be a September callup in 2010," he added.
link to story

No comments:

Post a Comment